dapperQ is excited to announce that we have added a lifestyle section to our website to provide a platform for our community to showcase their other talents (other than being stylish) and for our readers to get support that is not being provided on other sites. Topics covered under lifestyle include Health + Fitness, Relationships + Dating, and now Food + Drink, featuring the recipes of our resident gourmet, Chef Boi R Dee:
Love, Light, & Eating Right with Chef Boi R Dee!
Asian inspired Zesty Tofu Steak with Curried Eggplant Medley, Quinoa & Veggies
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
1 Hard Silken Tofu
1 large purple eggplant
1 large yam
Container of Brussels Sprouts
1 cup of Tri-color quinoa
1 Green Squash
1 Purple onion
Olicio Buttery Spray
Vanilla Almond Milk
Bragg Liquid Aminos
Kikkoman Memmi Noodle Soup Base
Simply Asia Ginger Garlic seasoning
Spanish Hot Smoked Paprika (zesty BBQ taste)
Pinch of Turmeric
Cracked black pepper
1 medium-large pot
3 stove pans
1 glass or silver oven pan
1 chopping board
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Chop purple onion into small-medium sized bits.
3. Peel squash and slice into quarter sized slices. Then chop diagonally to form diamond shapes.
4. Chop eggplant in half. Slice into 6 or 7 pieces, then cut into square pieces by trimming the purple edges.
5. Cut silken firm tofu horizontally into 4 rectangle slices.
6. Dice tomatoes into small squares.
7. Boil 4 cups of water in a medium sized pot. Wash off 1 large yam (with skin, as it is high in Vitamin A) and slice it into 6 or so pieces. Place yams into a pot on a high boil for 20 mins.
8. Wash Brussels sprouts and chop off any extra stems. I prefer to roast mine in the oven, because boiling them results in a significant loss of anticancer compounds. Allow a slow roast in a glass or silver pan that has been douched in olive oil with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Place Brussels sprouts in the pre-heated oven for 20 mins. Roll Brussles sprouts over every 7-8 mins.
9. Place 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt into a medium-large saucepan. Now add the 1 cup of tri-color quinoa into the pan as well. Cover pan with (wood chopping board in my case) or a pan cover and place on low flame for 12-15 min. Stir every 5 min.
11. Season half of a chopping board with olive oil and ¼ tsp dill weed, ¼ tsp oregano leaves, ¼ tsp cumin, ½ tsp curry powder, and a pinch of turmeric, salt, and black pepper. Place eggplant squares on the seasoned board. Lightly press them against the board, then add olive oil once again and repeat the seasoning process on the upright side of the eggplants.
12. Place chopped purple onions into a small pan with olive oil and cracked black pepper on a medium flame for 5 min. After 5 mins has passed now place the seasoned eggplants squares and non-seasoned diamond shaped chopped green squash intp the pan with the onions. Slightly squeeze half a lemon, add ½ cup of vanilla almond milk, and place on low flame for 15min with cover partially covering the pan.
We’re almost done! Don’t give up on me now
13. Now for the tofu. Wash the chopping board previously used and season half of the board with olive oil, ¼ tsp thyme leaves, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ Chinese five spice, ½ tsp simply asia ginger garlic seasoning, and a pinch of spanish hot smoked paprika for a zesty bbq taste. Place 4 slices of tofu onto the seasoned side of the chopping board. Repeat seasoning process on the upright side of the tofu.
14. Place tofu in pan on a low flame. Add 2 sprays per slice of Bragg liquid aminos, 1 tbsp of Kikkoman Memmi Noodle Soup Base, a firm squeeze of half an orange, a light squeeze of half a lemon, cracked black pepper and sea salt. Keep on low heat for 10 mins. Add diced tomatoes, flip tofu slices, then place on medium heat for another 10 mins.
15. Drain your yams and sprinkle sea salt sparingly, remove your quinoa, place Brussels sprouts into a bowl and sparingly spray Olicio buttery spray (olive oil base) on top, remove curried onions, squash, and eggplant and place chopped tomatoes in the center of the bowl, rest your Asian inspired tofu on a plate and bon appetit!
Feel free to add a side salad, pesto, or hummus to your dining experience
Love, light, and eat right!
About the gourmet:
Sebastian Joshua Flowers (Creative Director, Design & Marketing, House DJ) is a native Brooklynite, born of Belizean and Honduran parents. He is a trans- identified filmmaker, exhibitionist, designer, and dj of bklyn boihood. Sebastian’s innovativeness and resourcefulness transpired a B.A. in Political Science in 2010 from the New School University, and has allowed him to be a continuous politically active member in the LGBTQ of color community in NYC for nearly 10 years now. He is always searching zealously for the political implications behind gender-policing of people of color. A vegan for 10 years and humbly diverse chef in vegan and vegetarian cuisines, you can find Sebastian’s recipes on dapperQ.com. He is also recent founder of Km.T, a gashly raw and fashion forward t-shirt line that personifies the reawakening of the history of humanity embedded in all of our DNAs despite race, creed, or color. Follow Sebas’ on his , Tumblr, and